Blue Water Predator Trips – Simon’s Town
This adventurous trip takes you 15-25 miles off Cape Point in search of pelagic sharks such as the magnificent Mako and Blue Sharks.
- High Season: November to May. Our success rate is 80%
- Time: Trips depart 06h30 return at 16h00
- Weather dependent: All trips are weather dependent and are subject to cancellations based on bad weather. In this event a full refund is offered.
- Number of Guests: We take a maximum of 8 guests per trip with 3 crew. A min. of 6 guests is needed for the trip to go.
- Duration: It is a 2.5 hour boat ride each way so the guests need to be comfortable going to sea and be informed of the duration of the trip.
Blue sharks are afraid of very little and are usually the first to approach diver and cage with a lot of interest, only satisfied after a close inspection that you are not a food item; this is great for photos and memories. Mako Sharks are the fastest swimming shark, and observing one is truly a fantastic experience. We also have a good success rate with diving with Tuna.
All diving is in the cage and on snorkel. We use a three man cage but for comfort reasons we only allow 2 divers per dive. The water temperature can exceed 21°C.
We do offer free diving (out of the cage). This is only for experienced divers and under the right conditions. This decision is taken by the skipper and will depend on sea conditions, visibility and numbers of sharks. All diving is on the surface and on snorkel.
We will get to see spectacular views of Cape Point from the water. For the naturalist wanting a bit of everything, this is a must. The moment we leave False Bay we start to see a multitude of pelagic birds including Skuas, Terns, Shearwaters, Petrels, Penguins, Gulls as well as the possibility of seeing several different species of Albatross i.e. Shy albatross, Black-browed and Yellow-nosed albatross. Rarer sightings will include the Wandering & Royal albatross.
We very often see a variety of whales and dolphin species i.e Humpback, Southern Right, Sperm, Pilot and Brydes Whales, Common, Bottlenose, Dusky risso’s dolphin, and sun fish or Mola mola can be seen. Large shoals of yellow fin tuna (up to 100kg) and long fin tuna are seen and can sometimes circle the boat.
This is a great adventurous trip and a perfect alternative in our summer when it’s the low season for the Great White Sharks.