Frequently asked questions about shark cage diving
The idea of going shark cage diving can be a very daunting one at first, as the thought of getting up close with these apex predators send chills up the spines of many people. With these frequently asked questions below, we aim to help ease those nerve-wrecking thoughts and help you plan your shark cage diving trip by providing you with all the need-to-know information.
Must I bring my own dive gear for the shark cage diving trip or is it included?
- No, all you need to dive is to bring your swimming gear and a towel (optional).
Can non-divers also go onto one of your tours and is it the same price?
- Yes. Many guests surface view only. Our boat is specially designed for surface viewing and photography, and we have an upper viewing deck on the boat as well. Yes, it is the same price as the price is per head space.
Do you use scuba gear on your shark cage diving trip?
- As the shark cage is fixed to the boat, we use a hookah system, meaning the scuba tanks stay on board and only the scuba hose enters the cage, allowing you to enjoy a great shark dive without cumbersome, heavy tanks and gear.
Do I need dive qualifications to use the hookah
- No qualifications are necessary for shark cage diving.
Can we snorkel in the cage?
- Yes. Snorkelling is allowed but using the hookah system is a better option as it allows you to stay underwater for longer.
How many people are in the shark cage?
- We only allow 2 people in the cage at a time. This allows for a better shark cage diving experience.
How thick are the wetsuits?
- They are the standard 5mm wetsuits.
Do you have wetsuits for all sizes?
- Yes, we have from small to our largest being a XXXL.
How long is the cage dive?
- This depends on the shark activity and the sea conditions on the day. We like to work on a rotational system, allowing everyone at least a 20 min dive. After everyone has had a turn, and if there is still time, then you can have a second dive.
Can you pick us up from our hotel or guest house?
- Yes, we can arrange a pick up for you in the city area. This is an extra service and not included in the price.
Do we get a refund if the trip is cancelled from your side?
- Yes, we offer a 100% refund, if we cancel a trip.
If the shark cage diving trip is cancelled, can we go on another day?
- We always try to accommodate our guests if we cannot get out to sea. This does however depend on the availability of the bookings.
Can children come on the boat?
- Children over the age of 8 yrs are welcome. As the shark cage diving trips are long, it is very unpleasant for little children to be out at sea for more than a few hours.
Will I get lunch on the boat?
- Light snacks, muffins, sandwiches and cold drinks are provided. We recommend bringing some extra snacks if you think you might work up an appetite.
Will I get sea sick?
- We recommend that you take precautions (visit your physician or pharmacist for medication) if you are prone to sea sickness. Being sea sick is not fun and so rather take them. It is recommended to avoid alcohol the night before the shark cage diving trip.
How long is the trip?
- The morning AIRJAWS or morning shark cage diving trip is from from 7am until 12.30
The afternoon trip is from 13h00 to 16h30
What should I wear?
- Peak cap
- Waterproof jacket
- Towel ( optional)
- Sensible shoes for a boat
- Beanie and scarf